First Baptist Church of Ellenton - History
On April 8th 1956, the Tenth Street Baptist Church of Palmetto started a mission in Ellenton, Florida. Meetings were first held in the schoolhouse in Ellenton. The new mission was named the Ellenton Baptist Chapel. Reverend William Jacobs became it's first pastor.
On June 12th 1960, Ellenton Baptist Chapel was organized into the First Baptist Church of Ellenton. The church has seen many improvements over the years. The south wing, which served as a parsonage in the early years, was remodeled to provide more space for Sunday School classes. A new steeple and stained glass windows were added, along with a much needed new baptistry to take the place of the Manatee River.
More recently, parts of the building were renovated by the Manatee Southern Baptist Association in 2002 to establish their administrative offices along with the church office, more classrooms and three new restrooms. The expansion also included new wiring for the entire building and soon afterwards a brand new roof.
Independently, in 2005 the church obtained a large portable building and had it rewired and remodeled as a new fellowship hall and classrooms. The old fellowship hall was then remodeled and converted to three more new Sunday School rooms.
In addition to weekly worship services and Bible study classes for all age groups, First Baptist Church of Ellenton also offers Hispanic Bible study and worship services every Sunday morning. The church has established an ongoing relationship with Blackburn Elementary School and cooperates to help tutor kids in our comminity. First Baptist also gives to missions and takes lunch to Manatee Community College twice a year. During the summer break, our kids look forward to our annual Vacation Bible School which always has a different exciting theme.
God has truly blessed our church over the many years. Our desire as a part of the Body of Christ is to be a lighthouse to our community in this place where we serve Him.